Saturday, September 22, 2018

Inaugural Post

Welcome, everyone. Well, honestly, I don't anticipate getting a lot of traffic here, but maybe, someday, someone, who's throwing a hail-mary Google search may find this little blog useful.

First note: I'm no web developer. I'm really just going to focus on content and the design/layout of this blog will probably remain, like...basic.

I've been wanting to do something like this for some time, but I just haven't really had a strong or compelling plan put together in my head. Honestly, I still don't, but I've encountered enough surprises and, frankly, miracles, in my genealogical research that I've decided to just go ahead regardless.

Yes, that's the topic: genealogy. Family history. Ancestry. Whatever you want to call it, it's the practice of finding your ancestors and relatives and any information related to them. As a devout member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon...but using that term is now contrary to the wishes of President Russell M Nelson), I've always been aware of the work that my family has put forth over the years, but I never really personally engaged. My earliest memory was transcribing typewritten data into Personal Ancestral File (PAF), especially about strange places like Moravia or Bohemia. Last year around Thanksgiving, my mother's brother, pulled out pictures and files about my 2nd and 3rd great grandfathers. For whatever reason, suddenly, it all clicked into place for me. I wanted to know their stories, who they were, and where they came from, because it all has some small bearing on me.

That's when I got started, personally. I fired up Familysearch.org, then found that as an active member, I also have an Ancestry.com account. Then, I also learned I also had subscriptions to findmypast.com and myheritage.com. Without realizing it, I already had full access to the most powerful resources in the business. Of course I had to use them. I added a subscription to Newspapers.com, which busted everything open.

See, a lot of people before me have scoured Familysearch and Ancestry, and snagged all the "low-hanging" fruit. Findmypast and Newspapers were left nearly untouched, so that's where I got started. Within literally minutes, I had scores of articles about my 2nd great grandfather, John James, dating from the late 1880s to the mid 1950s. Turns out he was a mover and a shaker, not to mention having worked at Deseret News in Salt Lake City, Utah--he knew the biz and he got his stuff put in the papers. He straight up dropped letters in the Salt Lake City papers, and they published them! I learned things about uncles and aunts I never knew I had, even those living in Wales, where their papers are terrible (sorry, but it's true--unless your ancestors were a "big deal" in the UK prior to WWII, you have like a 1 in 4 shot in finding anything).

Then, I took Ancestry's DNA test. I had thought that it was magical, that it would just link you up with everyone related to you and place you on one big family tree. Nope. Your genealogical trail is only as good as your relatives make them. It's up to you to do the rest. Sadly, the majority of Ancestry DNA test takers snag their ethnicity results and then peace out. Still, there are enough decent users who actually link family trees to their tests that you can puzzle out where a lot of other people fall in.

One extremely powerful tool is the DNA Circles feature on Ancestry. Without going into too much detail (go here, I have), not everyone gets the same amount of DNA from our ancestors, since the process is a bit random. You'll definitely get approximately 50/50 of your DNA from your parents, 25% from each of your grandparents, but there's enough variability in those numbers that by the time you get 6 or so generations back, there's increasing chances that you wouldn't find any inherited DNA. What DNA Circles does is it correlates all available family trees linked to DNA tests and then combines everyone into one big group.


So, what is pictured above is my biggest DNA circle for George Douglass, who is my 4th great grandfather. He's kind of "Mormon royalty," by which I mean that he was one of the early converts to the LDS faith. He died in Nauvoo, and had like, a dozen kids. For those not in the know, Mormons are notorious for big families, although back in the 19th century this wasn't that unusual. The unusual part was the polygamous families, which make sorting out kids a headache. Anyway, note how the top has a highlighted group (FR are my mom's initials, who also took a DNA test), with 2 members. That includes me and my mom--we got unique parts of our DNA from George Douglass, but we share similar markers to all these other groups highlighted in orange. There are a few groups that aren't highlighted--that means that my mom and I have no common DNA with them, but they have common DNA with other people with whom we do have commonalities.

That's why it's useful to have as many people as possible take the DNA test--this improves the knowledge of the DNA of the original ancestor. You see, many people may look at their "DNA Matches" on Ancestry to see to whom they may be related that has taken a test. DNA matches won't show any of the people that aren't highlighted in that DNA Circles picture, even though you do have a relationship to them (5th-6th cousin, probably, in this case)--it's just not detectable in DNA.

OK, more on the DNA matches feature. If you're lucky enough to have your parents tested, you can filter your shared matches by your mother or your father's side. There are other filtering features that I won't get into. You see, hopefully, a long list of DNA relatives. The list is sorted by relationship proximity (immediate family first, then 1st cousins, 2nd, and so forth). The easiest matches to identify are those who have linked a family tree and have a "Shared Ancestor" hint (leaf icon). That means they linked a tree that has a common ancestor with you, and you can at a glance determine how you're related. Then you have everyone else. There are those who have put in family trees that may either have errors or don't go far enough back to see your common ancestor. Here you have to look at the surnames and see if anything looks familiar.

Then, you fire up the "Shared Matches" tab on your DNA match. This will filter down only to those matches which you and the selected DNA match have in common. By design (sigh), they'll only be sorted by proximity to you--you have no idea how closely your match relates to others (MyHeritage does this better...but with a smaller user base). This list may be helpful if you've identified other matches...if not, you only can put these shared matches into a mental category (Ancestry's organization tools are lacking). What I've been doing in the past months is going through and using the "notes" feature to identify the links to everyone I can, so I now have a fairly powerful database whenever I look at shared matches.

There are matches who have family trees but never linked their DNA tests. This often can be an unexpected gold mine, so never pass up a peek if you see an unlinked tree. That's the basis for my brief story later. Lastly, there are the hordes of DNA matches with nothing attached. GAH. The best thing you can do is sort with "Shared Matches" and bucket them with other people you have successfully identified. I'll try to message those people too, but all too often they are people who bought a test to see if they're Irish or whatever and then bugged out when they got bored (and are completely missing the point).

Alright, that's enough background. Let's walk through a fascinating discovery I made this morning.

William Williams, 4th great-grandfather
For those who have Welsh heritage, this is an awesome name. It's...uncommonly common. Plus, his son William Williams was my 3rd great grandfather. So there's already a major point of ambiguity...fortunately that's easy enough to sort out if you know relative ages of those on the records. I have one record that I can really hold to: the 1851 Wales Census. That's because he and his family lived on the same little Bargeman's Row in Swansea as the Morgans, whose daughter, Mary Morgan, married his son, William Williams. They lived there after they were married, too.

In any case, William Williams has his birthplace listed as Llansamlet around 1806. His wife, Ann, from Swansea. I cannot find any record of their marriage, which would have been recorded in parish records, somewhere, because this was pre-1837, when the British government began to take responsibility for vital records rather than the Anglican church. I found one possible baptism record for him in Llansamlet, but with no mother listed.

Anyway, William and Ann had 2 daughters, Catherine and Elizabeth (assuming they were theirs, not from different marriages or something), who disappeared off the face of the earth by 1861, because William and Ann did. I think Ann died, but like 20 Ann Williams died between 1851 and 1861 in Swansea. William may have died too, but I also found a William Williams down the street from his same-named-son in the 1861 Census, but he's 15 years older than he was in 1851, living as a lodger, and having Swansea as his birthplace. Maybe it's him. In any case, the search is kind of at a standstill.

Then I started looking at my William Williams Jr DNA circle (no one has really researched the elder William Williams besides myself). I believe the circles also only work if people have the common ancestor in a family tree, because I checked out one of my circle mate's shared DNA matches and found people I didn't recognize. Clicking around, I found a couple of people descended from St Jean's (only after checking their unlinked trees...the things I do for these people!). Incidentally, I had an interesting interchange with a Canadian St. Jean on MyHeritage, who was adopted--she was actually descended from the Hudsons. So, I was intrigued when I saw that these St. Jeans were from Canada but moved to Montana. Then I saw that the oldest St. Jean was Annie Davis before she was married--a Welsh name.

None of the other names in that tree sounded super Welsh. I remembered a conversation I had with someone with Welsh relatives who immigrated to Montana for the mining there, and I started doing some more digging. It turned out that this Annie Davis was born in Wales and immigrated as a young kid, at least, according to US Census records. I couldn't find any marriage records for her though, which usually list parents. I was able to leverage "Hints" after adding her to my tree since other people had done some research on her, and I learned that she and her husband moved to California in the 1930s. The trail went cold after 1940, the latest available US Census until 2022, when the 1950 becomes available.

I started researching her husband, who died in 1934. His California death index smashed "St. Jean" to "StJean." As soon as I searched for his wife's death record, Annie "StJean," I found her passing in 1946. That's when Newspapers.com came in handy. I easily found her death notice in the LA Times, which mentioned her children and two siblings, a brother and a sister. At first I tried looking up the brother, Wilfred Davis (which I thought odd, since her husband was Wilfred St Jean), and found way too many hits. I turned to the sister, knowing that she had a spouse with the last name Nevin.

Boom. Ada Nevin, back in Butte, Montana. I got her 1897 marriage certificate (Montana apparently had awesome records), which listed John Davis and Elizabeth Williams Davis as her parents.

My heart skipped a beat.

I started researching Elizabeth Davis and found her 1918 obituary in the Butte Miner, which said she was born in Swonsil, Wales (rofl...it's Swansea). Montana is awesome...the freaking UK didn't bother to put parents' names on death certificates until after 1950, but the 1918 Montana death certificate listed her father.


Yeah. That's William Williams. SHE DISAPPEARED BECAUSE SHE MARRIED AND MOVED TO MONTANA. Her birth date listed makes her 4 years younger that she was on the 1851 Census, but the fact that I have this paper trail in addition to a DNA match speaks volumes. I'm going to contact my DNA match to see what they know about their ancestry that they may have not put out in a family tree.

The connections we make are surprising--the most important thing is to follow the records, as much as you can. It's tempting to claim heritage to someone cool or awesome, but honestly, the people who are your progenitors are awesome in some way that you may not even realize.

1 comment: